Dental implant dentist Cranbourne
Thanks to the wonders of modern dentistry, dentures are no longer the only way to replace a missing tooth. Dental implants are the best substitutes for natural teeth offering you a permanent and secure solution for replacing one or more teeth.
Why replace a missing tooth?
A missing tooth isn’t simply a matter of aesthetics. Following the loss of a tooth, the jaw bone underneath is no longer being stimulated by the tooth root, and therefore gets a signal that it’s no longer needed. As a result, this bone will begin to recede and dissolve. Not only will this have an effect on the teeth surrounding the lost tooth, causing them to move and even become unstable, but it can also mean your face will take on a sunken and prematurely aged appearance.
However, when the tooth’s root is replaced with a dental implant, the bone continues to be stimulated, and will remain in its normal state. Only dental implants can achieve this; dentures will not.
What is a dental implant?
Generally made from bio-compatible titanium, dental implants look a little like a small screw. They are surgically inserted into the jawbone to act as a root and support the replacement teeth. As the mouth heals a process known as osseointegration begins to take place, which sees the bone and Implant begin to fuse together. Once the healing process is completed, small posts or abutments are then attached to the implant, which are then used to anchor a crown, bridge or dentures in place.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Dental implants provide amazing stability for patients, aiding with biting pressure as well as reducing irritation and oral sores generally experienced by denture wearers.
As the dental implant is permanently attached to your jawbone, the end result looks exactly like your natural teeth. You won’t need to remove it for cleaning, or to sleep; instead, your dental implant looks and functions just like the lost tooth did.
Other benefits of dental implants include:
- Aesthetically pleasing – they look like real teeth.
- Functional – they act and feel like real teeth.
- Beneficial to your diet – you can eat and chew again without pain or irritation. Foods that were previously forbidden can now be back in the diet!
- Eliminate distasteful adhesives – There is no longer a need to use “glue” when your prosthesis is anchored to implants.
- Enjoy your favourite foods – Implants can actually allow for the improved enjoyment of the textures and flavours of your favourite foods. With less plastic covering the roof of your mouth, you can enjoy natural flavours and sensations again.
- Maintain bone structure – Implants can help maintain your bone structure and support your facial tissues. They can reduce or eliminate bone atrophy, which causes “shrinkage” or facial cosmetic changes.
Aided by technology
At Beyond Dental, we use a state-of-the-art software, Simplant®, to plan and place dental implants. This allows us to analyse, study and plan your treatment in 3D. The highly detailed computer-generated guide enables us to use a keyhole approach to implant surgery, so we can be minimally invasive with optimal safety and placement accuracy.
Our dental implant procedures are further enhanced through the use of the Satelec Piezo Surgical unit, which uses high frequency vibrations to cut through bone, without causing any kind of damage to soft tissue. This is highly advantageous in the dental implant treatment as it allows us to prepare the site where the implant will be placed without generating any heat, which could damage the bone. It also enables faster healing, less pain after your procedure, and less swelling.
Dental implant dentist Cranbourne
If you would like to request a dental implants consultation, or to ask a question about the treatment, please do not hesitate to get in contact with us today.